Misc Military

Liverpool Journal March 10th 1849

We have been favoured by the inspection of the medal awarded by her Majesty, and forwarded by the Commander-in-Chief to our highly respected townsman Samuel McCULLOCH Esq for his services in the penninsular and South of France as a Medical Officer of the Royal Artillery. The medal is of silver very tastefully designed, showing on one side a bust of the Queen-one of the best likenesses we have seen-and on the reverse side, Victory, in the act of crowning the Duke 0f Wellington with a wreathe of Laurel, chastely and beautifully executed. On the edge is the name and rank in the army of Mr McCULLOCH and above the medal are four bars, each bar inscribed with the name of the seige, seige of St Sebastian, the battles of Nivelle, Nive, Othes and Toulouse. We believe Mr McCULLOCH is one of the last surviving officers of the penninsular army.

Mar 24th 1849

The following officers now serving in Liverpool have recieved their war medals viz;- Major General Sir William WARNE, C.B, medal 6 clasps; Col FALCONER, K.H, Inspecting Field Officer a medal 1 clasp; Lieut Col GARRATT, K. H, Commander of the 46th Foot a medal, 4 clasps; Major MACLEAN, 46th foot, a medal 5 clasps; Capt WOODGATE District paymaster, a medal 4 clasps; Lieut EDWARDS, District adjudant, two medals, 6 clasps.

Liverpool Journal

December 1849

Snippet from Brownlow Hill Workhouse

I was introduced into a room were 20/30 aged man were teazing hair for cushion stuffing, it comes from upholsterers in the town in the form of rope, and is here untwined. Pat MORAN, a veteran who had been in youth a soldier, was engaged in this work. He was, he told me, in the, "Marquis of Drogheda's light horse," and was present at Dunkirk. "We had to retreat," he said, "but [he added in a consolatory mood] we killed as many French as they killed us."


Northern Times Feb 19th 1855

The wounded soldiers in the workhouse

Three of the soldiers lately returned from the Crimea, have expired they will be interred at St Jame's Cemetery with full Military Honours

20th Feb

Soldiers funeral yesterday

Names of the deceased - GOODALL, SPINKS and EVANS, the two former died of wounds sustained at Crimea, the latter of diarrhoea.

The firing party consisted of a detachment of the Royal Lancashire Artillery and the staff establishment under the command of Capt FRYER. There was a large attendance to witness the last of the noble fellows.

A sister of GOODALL'S came from the South of England to witness the ceremony. The Rev J. HOLME performed the funeral rites.


The Liverpool Mercury Nov 4th, 1857

Departure of the Royal Lancashire Militia Artillery for Portsmouth

The regiment for which a large number of the men and all the officers have volunteered for service in India, left Liverpool on Monday evening for Portsmouth. The regiment comprises of upwards of 400 men, and 21 officers, including Colonel ATCHISON, Major HALL and Captain and Adjutant CAMPBELL. They left the barracks in Islington at 5pm amid the cheers of a large number of persons assembled to witness their departure. The congratulations of the populace were acknowledged by the men, the band striking up, "Cheer, boys, cheer" alternated on the route by, "Annie Laurie", "Auld Lang Syne" etc. The men proceeded in marching order to Edge Hill station being honoured on the line of march by congratulations similar to those which had greeted them on leaving the barracks. The scene of the barracks in consequence on the men taking leave of their friends and relatives, and children was a most affecting one. The men consoled them as well as they were able, bade them cheer up, and departed apparently in good spirits. At 20 mins to 7 the train started, amid the cheers of the spectators, which was responded to by the soldiers, the band playing, "The girl I left behind."



FEB, 10th, In action at Cawnpore in the brilliant charge under Brigadier WILSON, Major STIRLING, Capt's MCCREE and MURPHY, John only brother of Mr Insp PICKERING, late this town. The deceased was known as a brave soldier had been out in India for 11yrs, with the 64th Regt. He fell with the Gallant officers mentioned, in front of 4 guns they captured, but for want of support were unable to retain




29th, Salisbury St, Everton, Sgt John FAY, late 10th Royal Hussars served under Wellington during the whole of the Penninsular War and Waterloo, 2 medals and Clasp bearing inscriptions , Orthes, Toulouse, Vittoria, Waterloo was employed at Derby Museum Slater St at time of death.


Liverpool Mercury, Mar 3rd, 1862

The 23rd Royal Welsh Fusileers

The marble monument designed as a tribute to the memory of the officers of the 23rd Royal Welsh Fusileers, who fell at the Battle of Alma, and long since subscribed for by their relatives, is now complete, and through the exertions of Major GORDON. R.E, of Constantinople, and Colonel GOWAN of Sebastopol, erected over the grave of the officers buried in the field. The inscription in Russian, French, English and Greek is as follows :-" + I.H.S. Sacred to the memory of Lieutenant Colonel Harry George CHESTER, Captain Arthur Watkin, Williams WYNN, Captain Francis Edward EVANS, Captain John Charles CONNOLLY, First Lieutenant Sir William Norris YOUNG, Baronet, First Lieutenant Frederick P. R. Delme RADCLIFFE, Second Lieutenant Joseph Henry BUTLER, Second Lieutenant Augustus APPLEWAITE, Second Lieutenant Henry ANSTRUTHER, officers of her Britannic Majesty's 23rd Royal Welsh Fusileers. They were killed at the battle of Alma, 20th September 1854, and the seven first named lie buried under this monument. 'If we be dead with Christ we shall also live with Him' -St Paul. 'Love one another' -St John."


Liverpool Mercury, March 16th 1875

Death of a Peninsular Officer

We record the death of another of the small surviving band of veteran soldiers who served under the Duke of Wellington in the Peninsular War. Captain James RUTHERFORD of the old 94th Regiment or Scotch Brigade, which was disbanded at the conclusion of the war on a reduction of the forces, died at Liverpool on the 25th ultimo, in his 86th year. Captain RUTHERFORD was the last survivor of the officers who fought under the colours of that distinguished Scottish regiment in the Peninsula. He joined at the beginning of the war, and after being soon afterwards appointed to the command of the light company, was almost constantly engaged in out-post work, involving many severe encounters with the enemy. Besides these he took part with his regiment in the following important operations :- Siege of Cadiz, battle of Busaco, actions of Pombal and Redinha, lines of Lisbon, Massenais retreat, action at Sabugal, battle of Fuentes d'Onor, first siege of Badajoz, battles of Vittoria, the Pyrenees, Nivelle, Nive, Orthes, and Toulouse. For these services he received the war medal with seven clasps. After retiring from the army, he held for many years appointments in the barrack department, and served successively in the West Indies, at Aberdeen, and in the North of England, embracing Newcastle-on-Tyne and Carlisle. He has now passed away at a ripe old age, leaving behind him the memories of those who knew him best the reputation of a brave soldier and warm-hearted friend



27th, Jan 1877

Military Funeral

The remains of Bugler Charles PIERCE, of the 17th Lancashire Artillery Volunteers was interred, with full military honours at St James Cemetery, Upper Duke St, on Sunday morning.

The members of the 12th and 17th, L.A.V, mustered at their headquarters about 8am, under the command of Capt John MC CABE, and marched to the deceased late residence in Harrington St, Toxteth Park.

The Officers present were, Lieut's ATKINSON and CLARK, Sgt Major BARRIS of the 12th L.A.V, and Sgt MC ILROY of the 17th L.A.V.

There were, parade 17 Sgt's, 226 rank and file, 30 bandsmen and 12 of a firing party.

The body was conveyed on a gun-carriage, drawn by 4 beautiful horses and the coffin covered with the Union Jack of the regiment to which the deceased belonged.

Order of cortege were, the firing party, band, gun-carriage and mourning coaches containing deceased relatives.

The band played the, "Dead march" in "Saul"

The burial service was read by Rev William BANNISTER, in the chapel in the cemetery, and the coffin bourne to the grave by 4 buglers, 3 vollies were fired over the grave.

The deceased was only 21yrs of age and was much loved by his comrades in arms, who, gave proof of their affection by the large numbers attending his funeral.


Liverpool Journal 8th Jan 1881

Tuesday's London Gazette contained the following

Dated War Office, Jan 4th

Positions commence 5th Inst

2nd L.A.V, the following Lieut's to become Captains

William Michael CLARKE


2nd Lieut's to become Lieut's



Edward SMITH



3rd L. R. V

The undermentioned Officers resigned their commissions

Capt William SUTCLIFFE

Lieut Benjamin BERRY

2nd Lieut Walter SHEPHERD

14th [late 27th] L. R. V

Lieut Charles Robert HINNELL

Robert LORD Gent to be 2nd Lieut

July 27, 1881

The King's Liverpool Regiment, Captain Frederick James WHALLEY to be adjutant

August 24, 1881

Captain John DAWSON the King's Liverpool Regiment, to be major.

Quartermasters to be Captain, Thomas Massy CHADWICK, 4th Bat, King's Liverpool Regiment

October 05, 1881

3rd Bat, King's Liverpool Regiment, Lieut-Colonel Charles Sutton GARRAWAY, is granted the honorary rank of colonel

4th, Bat, King's Liverpool Regiment, Captain Charles Louis Atterbury FARMAR, retires and is granted the honorary rank of major, is permitted to wear the prescribed uniform in retirement, Robert Merton MANN, to be Lieutenant

October 22, 1881

King's Liverpool Regiment, Cadet, Louis St Clair NICHOLSON from the Royal Military College to be Lieutenant



Alexander Cuningham ROBERTSON was born in Edinburgh, Feb 8th, 1816, and was educated at the High School and University of that city. Having chosen a military career, he took service, while waiting to be gazetted to an English regiment, with "the Spanish Legion" under Sir De Lacy EVANS. He was present at several actions with the Carlists, was severely wounded, and received three Spanish decorations. In 1841 he joined the British Army, and went with the 34th Regiment to Canada, where during the prolonged winters he distinguished himself by his habits of application which bore fruit afterwards in several Staff appointments. He subsequently served in India, and took a prominent part in the Siege of Delhi during the great Mutiny, but, being prostrated with fever, he was not present at the final assault. After his return to England he obtained command of the 2nd Battalion of the King's now called "Liverpool" Regiment in honour of General ROBERTSON, whose later years were spent in Liverpool, where he displayed great energy in his management both of Militia and Volunteer forces. Liverpool and Edinburgh greatly lament his loss. He was not only a most energetic soldier, but also a man of much literary ability, he translated Tasso's great poem, complied the records of his favourite regiment, the King's and wrote many letters and papers in the public journals. He died on Tuesday December 2nd.


Liverpool Mercury, Dec 23rd 1891

Samuel GIBSON, the last survivor of the rank and file present at Waterloo has died at the Metropolitan Asylum, Caterham, aged 101.


Liverpool Echo, August 13th 1892


Another of the fast-disappearing hero's who survived the ever memorable, "Charge of the Light Brigade" - has answered the "last muster", and departed from all mundane strife.

The veteran was John DOYLE, who passed away peacefully at the Royal Infirmary, Pembroke Place, on Monday evening. The old soldier was suffering from an affection of the heart, and he entered hospital about six weeks ago, where he was carefully attended by Dr DAVIES, House Physician.

The old man who was 63, entered the 8th King's Royal Irish Hussars in 1850 and passed all through the ordeals in the Crimean Campaign and afterwards the Indian Mutiny.

The slender recognition of a grateful country was scarcely sufficient to keep the old Irishman from actual want, and he was almost destitute at the time of entering the infirmary.

The only known relative of the deceased is a niece who has been communicated with by Dr DAVIES.

15yrs ago DOYLE published a descriptive account of the famous charge, which is full of personal anecdotes and incidents, and is altogether no mean literary effort. It is probable that the old soldier's remains will be attended at the graveside by a military escort.


A soldier named Thomas FLYNN who distinguished himself in several battles, died in Athlone Workhouse, yesterday. His valour won him the Victoria Cross, pinned to his breast by the Queen. His case was mentioned in Parliament last session, and it was then explained, that it was FLYNN'S own fault that he had to find refuge in the workhouse.


Liverpool Mercury, Nov 23rd 1894

Funeral of Balaclava survivor

The remains were interred on Wednesday at Penketh, nr Warrington of Sergeant James DONAGHUE, a survivor of the Balaclava Charge. He claimed to be the trumpeter who sounded the order to charge. He had the Crimean medal with bars for Balaclava, Inkerman and Sebastopol, the Turkish and French war medals for distinguished service in the light cavalry charge, also the Indian Mutiny medal and medal for long service and good conduct. DONAGHUE had a small pension, but was in such reduced circumstances that a few years ago he was an inmate of the Warrington Workhouse. He has left a widow who is practically destitute.


Liverpool Mercury, 14th Jan 1899

Military snippets

On Monday afternoon at Osborne the Queen presented silver medals for distinguished service and gallantry to men who served in the recent battles at Atbara and Omdurman.

The recipients were :-

Quartermaster Sgt CHAMBERLAINE

Sgt Cook BROOKE, 1st Grenadier guards

Sgt W. CHALMERS, 21st Lancers

Pri W. BUSHELL, 21st Lancers

Sgt A. T. MEARS, Royal Army Medical Corps

Quartermaster Sgt G. M. OSBORN, Army Service Corps

Colour Sgt MC IVOR, Seaforth Highlanders

Sgt WOOLLAM, Army Ordnance Corps

Sgt Instructor LEWIS, 1st Grenadier Guards was also to receive a medal but was detained in hospital.

Death has removed two gallant veterans of the Crimean war

Major General Henry STROVER who died suddenly at his residence, Manor Grove, Tonbridge. He was 67 and entered the Royal Artillery on Dec 19th 1849 and served with conspicuous ability during the siege and fall of Sebastopol and in the New Zealand war of 1860-61, where he commanded the Royal Artillery during the greater part of operations in the Turanaki district, for which he was promoted Brevet Major and decorated with a medal. In 1877 he was made Colonel and 4yrs later entered civilian life, with a pension and the rank of Major General.

Colonel Arthur Collett NIGHTINGALE, grandson of Sir Edward NIGHTINGALE, 6th Baronet of Kneesworth, Cambridgeshire. He obtained a commission in the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders in 1854 as Lieut and was present with the regiment during the Crimea in the siege and fall of Sebastopol. At the outbreak of the Sepoy Rebellion in 1857 he accompanied the 93rd to India and fought with distinction at the relief of Lucknow and the defeat of the Gwalior Mutineers at Cawnpore, for this he received a medal and clasp. In 1881 he was promoted Lieut Colonel of the regiment and commanded it from Jan 1st 1884 to Jul 1st 1887. He succeeded Col TEMPLEMAN in command of the 91st, which he held for 5yrs, retiring in March 1894 after serving on full pay for 38yrs.

Major John Bourchier STRACEY of the Scots Guards, one of the officers who accompanied Dr JAMESON, on his incursion into the Transvaal, has decided to leave the army. After 27 yrs service he has been awarded the retired pay of an officer of the rank. Major STRACEY was on leave of absence from the guards when he took part in the raid.

An interesting scene was witnessed at the Lime St, Station of the London and North Western Railway Co on Tuesday, when a large number of soldiers who have been invalided after the arduous campaign in the Soudan, took a train for London, their destination being, Netley and Woolwich. They are all young fellows and their faces bear bronzed traces of a prolonged sojourn in the East. Travelling by easy stages through the Mediterranean, the voyage largely helped to rebuild their heath. Hardly one of them was without a pipe in their mouth, and all appeared to enjoy their return to England.

News has been received from Uganda that Capt KIRKPATRICK an 7 men, where, on the 26th of Nov last, treacherously murdered at Nakwoi, 2 days march West of Birkoro.

At Fareham on Saturday, Henry SPURNER, a private in the Royal Marine Light Infantry, was committed for trial at Winchester assizes charged with the wilful murder of James WHATMORE his comrade at Browdown camp on Christmas morning.


Liverpool Mercury Jan 5th 1907

Deaths The interment took place at Toxteth Park, Cemetery, Smithdown Rd, of Sgt Insp J. W. FESTING, aged 41, of the 6th, L.R.G.A, who died with tragic suddeness at his residence Cawdor St, on Boxing Day.

The funeral was of full military character, the coffin conveyed on a gun-carriage, drawn by 4 horses, preceded by a firing squad with reversed arms, and the band [under Mr HOWELL] played the "Dead March" in "Saul", followed by officers, non-commissioned officers and men of the corps, numbering about 150.

The service was conducted by, Rev C. C. ELEUM, [St Agnes Ch, Ullet Rd] Chaplain to the L. R. G. A. When the last words had been recited at the graveside, the firing party shot three volleys and the trumpeter sounded, "Last Post".

Col W. W. GOSSAGE. V.D, Commander of the corps, and Major Guy GOSSAGE and other officers were prevented from attending, due to being present at the funeral of Col T. B. WALKER, Late Hon, Col, of Sussex.

Three more veterans of the Crimean War have passed to rest within the past few days, William DAVIS, formerly of the Coldstreams, George FORD, Royal Irish and John James COUSINS, all three men were 73yrs of age.

Deaths The coloneley of the Kings Liverpool Regt has become vacant by the death of Lieut General George Edward BAYNES, aged 84. He served in the Indian Mutiny and commanded the storming part at the Siege of Delhi. He was ensign in July 1841 and received his coloneley in 1866, to the Kings Regt in October 1902. The 3rd and 4th battalions of the regiment are at Warrington with Sir T. G. Hesketh Bart, Honorary Colonel, while various Volunteer battalions are stationed at Liverpool.

Liverpool Mercury 19th Jan 1907

About 160 men of the 3rd and 4th Battalions of the Manchester Regiment, left Liverpool by the Allen liner TUNISIAN for Halifax, where they will join the Canadian Forces.

Liverpool Mercury Jan 26th, 1907

Recruiting Sgt SMITH for many years a familiar figure in St Helens was buried on Wednesday with a full military funeral. The firing party was composed of a detachment of the 2nd South Lancashire. V.B, commanded by Sgt Major DOOLAN, and accompanied by a detachment of the 1. Y. Hussars. The deceased leaves a grown up family.

Liverpool Mercury

Aug 17th 1907

Who won the Alma

Col Sgt MC COMISKY Late of the 77th Regt who fought in the Crimea was buried at Dover on Tuesday. In a document he left behind he said that he had often seen pictures being first on the Alma Heights, but, as a matter of fact the guards did not fire a shot, and the battle was won by the Light Division.




William FAIRCLOUGH an old Indian Mutiny veteran died in St Helens Hospital after an illness of 6 mths he belonged to the R.R.B.Rifle Brigade and up until 2 yrs ago was employed by Messers PILKINGTON for upwards of 38yrs.

LIVERPOOL MERCURY Sat 25th, Jan 1908


Thomas BENTHAM, Crimean War Veteran who died at Fulwood Workhouse, Preston was saved from a paupers burial when Earl ROBERTS intervened. He was borne on the shoulders of Loyal Lancashire Men and buried with full military honours.

Liverpool Journal, 1st Feb, 1908

Sale of relics

British Trophies by Auction

The BALACLAVA, BUGLE, on which sounded the "Charge of the Light Brigade," at Balaclava, on the 25th Oct, 1854 was included in a sale of relics in London this week. Its original owner had paid, 750 guineas for it, and only, an informality prevented it going to his regiment. In this renowned charge, which a French Marshal described as "magnificent but not war" only 198 British Horsemen returned out of 670.

The BALACLAVA, BUGLE, fetched, £300.

The flag of the CHESAPEAKE, the American frigate which fought the historic duel with the British frigate SHANNON fetched £850. Both relics it is said, go to America. The fight took place in Boston Bay, the CHESAPEAKE was boarded and captured by the SHANNON in 15 mins.

Liverpool Mercury Feb 8th 1908

Southport Veteran rescued.

Through the kindness of the Mayoress of Southport Mrs WILLETT, Thomas DUNNING an ex artilleryman who went through the Crimean war was removed on Wednesday from Southport Workhouse to a private lodging in Southport. Miss WILLETT is trying to raise £100 to support him. Mr DUNNING is a hale man of 80 and was overcome with joy.



Liverpool Weekly Mercury, 24th Feb 1912

Samuel WALKER a veteran of the 52nd Regiment, who served through the Indian Mutiny, was buried at Colchester with military honours. In accordance with his last wish, his bible given to him by an English lady in India was placed in his coffin

Liverpool Weekly Mercury, 13th April 1912

Crimea Veterans death

Crimea Veteran John SOMERVILLE, 79 yrs of age died on Wednesday at Turner’s Home Of Rest, Dingle, where he had been an inmate since 1903. The deceased had been a member of the 48th Foot, joining the regiment at Carlisle in 1854. He went through the Crimean war and possessed the Alma and Turkish medals

Liverpool Weekly Mercury, 22nd, June 1912

Henry WAYTE, Crimean veteran, who died aged 83, was buried on Monday in a portion of Forest Hill Cemetery specially reserved for veterans

Liverpool Weekly Mercury, 7th, Dec  1912

Mutiny Veteran dead

The death is announced at his residence Mornington St, Birkenhead, of Mr Henry Owen MORRIS, one of the few survivors of the Indian Mutiny. He was colour-sergeant in the 90th Light Infantry, and took part in the relief of Lucknow and the engagements at Delhi and Cawnpore. He obtained two medals and clasp for his services in India. At the close of his military career he returned to Birkenhead and was in the employment of Messers Laird Bros until the firm amalgamated with Messers Cammell. The old veteran was buried with military honours at Flaybrick Hill, cemetery.



Jan 4th, 1913


Funeral took place at Southport Cemetery of Mr Thomas RIMMER, former Bandmaster of the , 13th, Lancs Rifle Vol, 3rd V.B, Kings Regt, 7th Bat, K. L. R.

He died suddenly while engaged with the band on the 7th, during their christmas tour.

The coffin was conveyed from a service at the house, Oak St, to the cemetery on a gun carriage belonging to the 7th. K. L. R. the procession headed by a firing party of the 7th. Band was by the same battalion and the Army Service Corps.

Service held by Rev G. H. MATHEWS of the Baptist Tabernacle, Southport. Present at the graveside were two veterans, Thomas DUNNING, 83 and Thomas BROADLEY, 79 late 10th Hussars who took part in the Light Brigade.

7th, K. L. R, Army Service Corps, National Reserve, Royal Naval Volunteers, Oddfellows [deceased oldest member of the Loyal Albert Edward Lodge], Amalgamated Musicians Union, all represented.

Liverpool Mercury February 1st, 1913


One of the rapidly thinning band of veterans passed away by the death of Mr Samuel HUGHES, aged 75, at his son-in-laws residence, Mr C. NALL, Errington Ave, Ellesmere Port. He was born in Childer, Thornton, at 19, he joined the 44th Foot Regt at Liverpool and was ordered out to the Indian Mutiny.

An exiting incident prevented his comrades and himself reaching the front. They were anxious to get into action when their ship began to leak in an alarming manner. She filled rapidly, the crew managed to clear the vessel of deep water and to wade ashore before she became a total wreck.

The deceased who was a corporal went with his regt to the China outbreak in 1860 and held a medal and clasp for the engagement of Taku Forte. He served for many years in the volunteers and was in receipt of an army pension. He was also an ardent Wesleyan Methodist.


Mon July 1st 1940

Roll of Honour

Evy JONES 18th K. L. R Killed in action at the Somme Ist July 1916

The Times June 5th 1940


DONALD,Lt-Comdr., R.N.



TANNER. Lt. H. C. C., R.N.

WOOD, Sub-Lt. A. B., R.N.

Missing on active service.

CROSSLEY In April 1940, missing on active service, John Richard, Midshipman, [A], R. N., eldest son of Commander J. G. CROSSLEY, R. N. Hawkeshead Ambleside

In memorial HAZEON to the dear memory of my son Capt S. Cyril HAZEON who lost his life in H. M. S. HAMPSHIRE, sunk off the Orkneys, June 5th 1916

KITCHENER OF KHARTOUM- To the glorious and undying memory of Lord Kitchener of Khartoum who lived and died for England

Lost on H.M.S. Hampshire sunk by a German mine off the Orkneys, June 5th 1816.


LECKY- The funeral of the late Capt H. S. LECKY will take place at the Extra Mural Cemetary, Lewes Rd, Brighton at 12 noon tomorrow, cortege leaving 7, Tudor Rd, Upper Norwood at 10am.

1ST APR 1941



BORROWS Mar 26 at SUSSEX Age 23 son of Ann and the late Edward [who died Dec 1940]

McKELVIE aged 19 Pilot Officer Alistaire son of Mr and Mrs K McKELVIE of Shanghai

STOWELL age 22 Lance Corp Ernest Alfred youngest son of Henry and the late Elizabeth of Wallasey

The Soldier

If I should die, think only this of me:

That there's some corner of a foreign field

That is for ever England. There shall be

In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;

A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,

Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,

A body of England's, breathing English air,

Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,

A pulse in the eternal mind, no less

Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;

Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;

And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,

In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

Rupert Brooke


Copyright 2002 / To date