Liverpool Mercury, Jan 7th 1899




A terrific gale blew over Liverpool on Monday afternoon until late at night. The wind from the North West, ascertained fearful velocity and swept exposed places in the city.

Plate glass windows were blown in. The telephonic and telegraphic wires were blown down in all directions, causing electrical communications to be cut off to many parts of the city.

Two serious accidents were received at the Northern Hospital, a girl named MC LOCHLAN, who resides in Litherland, who whilst proceeding along Lime St was carried by the wind under the wheels of a cab, resulting in one of her thighs being fractured. A dock labourer named LYNCH, who was blown over at the Waterloo Dock, and fractured his pelvis.

The Southern Hospital treated a man blown into a South-end Dock and a woman injured whilst passing down Park Way, Prince’s Rd.

During the afternoon the cross-river ferries were carried on with great difficulty, the New Brighton and the Egremont services having to be suspended, the boats later, lying up river for safe shelter.

Adventures of a Mersey Police Boat crew

Some anxiety was caused in respect of a police boat, containing Coxswain MOAR and 5 men, which left the Princes Landing Stage at 1pm on Monday to carry out their partrol up river. At 4pm they were at Rock Ferry and turned for home, but the force of the wind and waves were too great and they were obliged to run up river.

To those tugging at the oars in the boat, it was impossible under such stress of weather to keep her head to the wind. They made an effort to reach New Ferry Pier, but the attempt to land looked too dangerous and the boat sheered off.

They then came across the flat CEYLON, riding the storm at anchor and Coxswain MOAR made fast along to leeward, affording a temporary shelter and rest for the men. But very soon the flat was twirling round by a sudden frolic of the gale and the police craft was exposed again to the full force of the tempest.

They found themselves in imminent danger of being crushed between the flat and a schooner, swinging about in close proximity. Again the boat was cast loose and pulled up further along the river.

Here they were thankful to come across another flat the MARGARET. Making fast here they found themselves fairly sheltered and here they spent the night.

The MARGARET was laden with coals, and lay low in the water, but her anchorage was safe. Capt HOUGHTON, Master of the MARGARET was very kind to the weather-bound police crew and made them as cosy as possible in the little cabin, providing them with hot tea and as much refreshment as was on board. It was not until 6am that the police crew were able to start off to the landing stage.

Steamer ashore in the Crosby Channel

While the storm was at its height the crew of the Hoylake lifeboat had a terrible experience, at about 7pm word was received that a vessel was in distress on the banks of the estuary of the Mersey. Capt DODD and a crew at once put to sea in the face of a terrible gale. Great seas where encountered and the lifeboat filled three times, putting the lives of her volunteer crew in extreme peril. For 4hrs the lifeboat was buffeted about and nothing was heard of her until an early hour on Tuesday morning when she arrived at Hoylake, all safe.

Extraordinary scenes at Rhyl

Monday’s gales were felt at Rhyl with exceptional severity. The wind rose at midday and developed into almost a hurricane. About 11.30 the signal guns at the lifeboat station summoned the crew to the assistance of a large two-masted flat, driven almost high and dry on the shore close to the estuary of the river.

The tide was coming in and the vessel was lying in an exposed position. The crew had donned their oil-skins and cork waistcoats ready for service, but the coxswain firmly declined to allow the boat to leave the station, saying the vessel was perfectly safe and that the crew were in no need of assistance.

The men however, entreated to go out, and to their entreaties were added the angry clamours of the large crowd that had assembled. After three quarters on an hour delay the coxswain yielded and the boat was drawn by six horses along the sand, a quarter of a mile opposite to where the vessel was lying. One and a half hours had now elapsed since the firing of the signals, and amid derisive cheers the boat was drawn out on its carriage into the water, but every effort to launch her failed, and she was drawn back again ashore amid the jeers of the crowd.

Twice again she was taken into the water but refused to leave the carriage. Meantime the incoming tide and the wind brought the vessel to within a few yards of the shore.

The vessel ascertained to be the FAIR TRADE, the crew of which, declared they were alright and did not need the lifeboat, and advised the crowd to go home.

Foundering of a Channel steamer

Dieppe Tuesday

The steamer ANGERS, plying between Newhaven and Dieppe manned by a French crew, foundered last night during the violent gale, close to the Western Jetty, part of which was destroyed. The ANGERS crew consisted of 17, 5 were drowned. The 12 survivors saved themselves by clinging to the jetty for 7hrs. 4 men went down with the vessel, 1 swam ashore but died of exposure and exhaustion. The ANGERS was a steel screw steamer of 522 tons, a cargo boat owned partly by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway and partly by the West of France Railway.

Distressed steamer in the Atlantic

Lloyd’s telegram

The MESABA which arrived at London reports:-

On Dec 29th, 48. 5N, 37.40W, during a heavy SW gale a high sea, a steamer, disabled was observed northwards. The MESABA bore down, and found her to be the CATANIA of New York, funnel gone and decks swept, bound to Georgetown, S.C, She signalled, "Take us in tow" and we answered, "Yes if possible."

A boat was launched, with the Chief officer and five hands, with great difficulty owing to heavy seas, with a fine line to the vessel, but it failed to reach her with it. Chief officer CRICHTON then proceeded in getting one from her, but owing to the increasing gale and heavy seas, had to let go, as he was endangering the lives of the boat’s crew. We then ordered the boat back to the ship. The disabled steamer then signalled, “Do not abandon me,” we answered, “No” and stood by her all night. During the night the steamer fired no signals of distress and at daylight nothing could be seen of her. A strong gale was blowing and a tremendous sea running at the time. At 9am on Dec 30th we decided to proceed on our voyage to London having stood by her for 22hrs.

The British steamer NEWBY from Philadelphia arrived at Queenstown on Monday morning and reported fearful weather. The 2nd mate and a seaman were washed down the cabin by a heavy sea. She fell in with the DART from London, with her propeller lost, and with much difficulty a hawser was attached, but broke, a further attachment was impossible and the NEWBY left her 400miles of Cape Clear.

Wrecks and Casualties

The I.O.M Steam Packet Co’s steamer FENNELLA, Capt W. HILL crossed from Liverpool to Douglas on Monday with passengers and mails in the teeth of the North West hurricane. Terrible weather was encountered but eventually the steamer disembarked her passengers after a passage lasting 7hrs. The passengers bore themselves bravely and all spoke highly of the conduct of the steamers officers and crew. The hurricane caused much damage inland in the I.O.M and many vessels sought shelter in her bays.

On Monday morning many vessels reached Yarmouth and reported bad weather in the North sea. George STAINS, ship’s cook was swept overboard from the trawler SULTAN and drowned. The mate HARPER of the trawler ROBERT AND JOHN was thrown into the sea by a blow from the trawler rope and drowned, while another hand named LARN was badly injured.

The French steamer VADA from Swansea put into Penzance on Tuesday and experienced terrific weather in the Bristol Channel. The Capt sustained a broken leg and three crew were seriously injured when portions of the bridge and steering gear were carried away.

The four masted ship GLENARD of Port Glasgow went ashore on Sunday morning at Dymchurch and lies in a dangerous position, she is a steel ship of 1937 tons, built in 1893.

At Ramsgate the piers and promenade were swept by the waves, smacks and other vessels arriving reported loss of gear and tackle.

On Monday night the Bembridge I.O.W lifeboat. R.N.L.I, was launched to aid the French schooner ROSALIE bound from Boulogne to Rochefort, laden with cement and stranded on the Bembridge Ledge, she saved the crew and landed them at Bembridge.

Great damage was done on Monday night to Chester F.C.s new ground, the site where the Royal Agricultural Society’s show was held a few years ago. The whole of the hoarding enclosing the ground was wrenched up bodily and a covered stand was completely wrecked corrugated iron sheets from the roof where hurled 40yds away.

A new building between Laxey and Ramsey totally collapsed as a result of a landslip.

The rivers, Dee, Severn and Conway overflowed their banks for many miles and thousands of acres of land were submerged by floods, many sheep and cattle were destroyed.

On Tuesday morning an old man aged 70, Thomas NOLAN, was found dead near the railway at Bootle, Cumberland. He was taken to the Bootle Workhouse on Wednesday last, but absconded and wandered about. He was found lying in the hedgeside, having perished with the cold, he leaves a wife and family at Millom.

Reports from abroad

Lloyd’s agent from Ashanti telegraphed, Tuesday

The Italian steamer EDILIO R of Genoa from Ancona for Cardiff having broken chains and lost anchor is stranded at Arland Ushant, the crew of 27 are saved, she has since sank and considered a total loss.

Harve Tuesday

The French Trans Atlantic Co’s steamer LA BRETAGNE, which arrived yesterday reports terrible weather in the Atlantic, tremendous seas repeatedly swept the deck, smashing the sky light and washing away two boats and several ventilators.

Paris Tuesday

Considerable damage has been done on the French coast by the storm, the German wooden ship FRIEDA 1373 tons of Bremen was driven ashore at Dunkirk last night and her crew were saved by the Dunkirk lifeboat which was out at sea 8hrs.

The French four masted steel sailing ship MONTMORENCY 3011 tons in the outer harbour at Dunkirk has signals of distress flying.

A telegram from Perpignan reports the pleasure yacht FRAM which was at anchor in the Bay of Corbere, capsized and foundered.

Brest Wednesday

Another vessel name not yet ascertained has been wrecked near Conquest. Large numbers of drowned pigs and sheep have been washed ashore. Nothing has been seen of the crew and it is feared all hands have been lost.

Disaster off the Cornish coast

Two steamers sunk

Loss of 12 lives

Messers W. S. MILLER and Co, Glasgow owners of the steamer ROSS-SHIRE, state they have received a telegram concerning the ROSS-SHIRE that it was in a collision off Trevose Head, Cornwall, on Wednesday and has been abandoned in a sinking condition.

The vessel has collided with the DUGUESCLIN, which has sank with 11 hands.

The ROSS-SHIRE carried a crew of 23 under the command of Capt James S. CRICHTON. She shipped her crew at Cardiff and left for St Nazaire on Monday night. One of her firemen was drowned. She carried a cargo but no passengers.

9 of the crew of the ROSS-SHIRE were landed at Cardiff on Thursday and were accommodated at the Seaman’s Home.

They say the collision occurred at 4am on Wednesday. Mr MICKLE, 2nd officer, was just preparing to take on the watch, when he reached the deck the DUGUESCLIN lay as though she had been struck amidships and went down in 3minutes.

Capt CRICHTON behaved like a true British sailor, his quiet demeanour and knowledge of his work, doubtless, saved many lives.

Falmouth correspondent Thurs am – A pilot cutter has landed Capt CRICHTON and 13 crew of the steamer ROSS-SHIRE and the Capt and 11 crew of the DUGUESCLIN.

The ROSS-SHIRE left Cardiff on Tuesday with coal, early on Wednesday morning when off Trevose Head, near Newquay she collided with the DUGUESCLIN from Rouen for Swansea in ballast, which was struck amidships and went down immediately.

The ROSS-SHIRE had her bows stove in and she began to sink. A Swede was killed by the impact while sleeping in his bunk and the remainder of the crew of the ROSS-SHIRE took to their boats, picking up the Capt and 11 crew of the Frenchman, 11 were drowned. They were in the boats for 12hrs when their signals of distress were seen by a Norwegian steamer, which took the greater portion of the sailors on board, subsequently 8 of the crew of the ROSS-SHIRE were placed in a steamer bound for Cardiff, whilst the others were transferred to a pilot-cutter.

Wreck of an Italian steamer

Padstow correspondent reports the VOORWAARTS a large Italian steamer, outward bound from Cardiff, for Genoa with coal, was abandoned 5 miles, South West of Trevose Bay. 11 men left the vessel in their own boats and drowned, the drowned include the Captain and officers. One of the boats has been washed ashore at Padstow Bay. 9 crew have been rescued by the lifeboat and landed at Padstow.

Liverpool Mercury, Saturday Jan 14th January







A strong gale raged over Liverpool and the port during the whole of Thursday, and at noon at high tide the Mersey was extremely rough, the force of the wind caused the water at the Pier Head and Landing Stage to rise 3ft above the expected height.

Ferry traffic was conducted with great difficulty, the New Brighton boats had to stop running and vessels in the Mersey moved cautiously at a respectable distance from each other.

People on the Landing Stage at times had to run for shelter beneath the sheds and into the waiting-rooms.

About the streets hats were blown off and umbrellas torn to shreds, those unfortunates on the top of trams and omnibuses were entitled to some commiseration. Rounding corners in London Rd, Lime St, Stanley Rd, Kirkdale Rd, St James’s Mount and approaches to the Landing Stage in St Nicholas’s Place was a feat that could only be attempted by the sure-footed.

Anything loose found its way in the streets, slates, chimney pots, shutters, sign boards and, window panes in this respect. Great havoc was caused among telephonic and, telegraph wires, and electrical communication was considerably interrupted.

On Thursday about 5pm during the height of the gale, James KELLY, aged 45, a labourer of Hill St, Toxteth, was working on a vessel in the Queens Dock along with James WEBB, aged 45, at lodgings in St Anne St. They were moving heavy doors when the gale carried the material against them, which knocked them down, both sustaining severe injuries. The ambulance from the Royal Southern Hospital was summoned and the men removed to the institution. KELLY is expected to recover, but WEBB’S condition is grave.

Slates were blown off the roof of a paint warehouse on the corner of West Derby Rd and Celt St and a youth had a very narrow escape. A large sign was blown down on the premises of Messers HEYES, Furniture removers, Prescot Rd, Fairfield, and narrowly missed a passing tramcar

Mr J. FORD’S provision shop windows were blown in and a large amount of stock was destroyed.

Messers George LUNT Co’s, Brunswick Rd premises windows were blown in as well as those of several public houses in West Derby Rd, including, valuable plate-glass windows on the premises of Messers S. RIDDOCK, provender dealers of 364 Stanley Rd, Bootle

Steamers entering the river reported that the weather in the Irish sea was very rough. The White Star steamer BRITANNIC arrived, but anchored in the estuary on Thursday and landed her passengers yesterday morning by tender.

Several lamps on the landing stage were damaged and several, gas buoys, down channel, were deranged by the violent seas. Lieut ASHTON, The Asst Marine Surveyor, went down channel early yesterday morning to assess the damage and superintend the work of attending to repairs.

The flat DOUGLAS was sunk in the Mersey, but the crew are saved.

Mrs SWEETMAN of 163 Grove St, had a marvellous escape on Thursday evening, whilst in her back yard, a slate missed her by inches, and almost immediately the chimney stack fell on the point she had previously been standing, she was covered in ashes, soot and smoke, but was not injured.

The house of Dr BICKERTON, 88 Rodney St, which, stands on the corner of the street was at the mercy of the storm. 10ft sq of the roof was smashed, debris fell into the bedroom occupied by his two children. The children were getting ready for bed in the dressing room at the time with the nurse and were saved from being seriously injured.

A shocking accident occurred at the Stanley Dock where some new warehouses were being erected. A labourer, named CONNELLY, whilst working on scaffolding, some 40 to 50ft high, was blown down, falling to the concrete floor below. He was picked up insensible and taken to the Northern Hospital, where he is in a precarious condition after receiving dreadful injuries.

The BATANGA one of the West African fleet, Messers Elder Dempster and Co, arrived in the Mersey yesterday and discharged her passengers. These included, Capt Middleton HUGHES, from Bross, Lieut STELLARD, Akassa, Hon Judge BONNER, Sierra Leone, and 12 commissioned officers and stokers from Sierra Leone, Accra and Forcados. The BATANGA had an exciting experience in the Crosby Channel. In a successful effort to escape a buoy, she got a weigh on her, which would have conducted her straight on Crosby Beach. The officers noticed this promptly and reversed engines, backing the steamer out of the dangerous course into deep water.

At Birkenhead the large electric arc lamp at the top of Grange Rd was smashed and a portion of the boarding around Tranmere Rovers football ground was torn up by the wind.

At Bootle a large plate-glass window in the Old Toll Bar, public house at the corner of Miller’s Bridge and Derby Rd was smashed to pieces. The dial of Bootle Town Hall clock, facing the river was smashed.

In Seaforth, a boy named Arthur PATTISON of Kendrick St, was taken to hospital by ambulance after being blown by the wind and fracturing his thigh.

At St Helens many buildings were unroofed and several persons had narrow escapes from falling slates and tiles. Henry PENNINGTON, son of Henry PENNINGTON of 3 Lathom St, was passing down the street when a slate fell on his head, severely gashing it. He was treated by PC JACKSON a member of the St John’s Ambulance Brigade. The west face of the Town Hall clock was blown in and the gates of the old chain works in Blackbrook Rd, were blown straight across the tram lines, impeding the traffic.

The roof of the grandstand at Haydock F.C, was blown down and boarding was damaged surrounding the field. This occurred whilst Haydock and Skerton teams were replaying their tie in the, Lancashire Junior Cup Tie, luckily no one was injured.

At Wigan a large tree fell in Wigan Lane, cutting a lorry in two, the driver, an Upholland man named BERRY, lies in the infirmary in a critical condition. A tramcar at Platt Bridge was overturned and a chimney, 30yds high at Burland’s Oilworks, was blown down causing considerable damage.

At Manchester the chimney of a disused cotton mill at Newton Heath came down and completely demolished a cottage in which, 3 families, amounting to 11 persons lived. All were at home for tea when the accident occurred, 4 were killed and 3 seriously injured.

The house was tenanted by a labourer named SHAWCROSS, whose two daughters, Sarah Ann, aged 18 and Elizabeth, aged 3, both died. The other fatalities, were, Sarah Ann BUCKLEY, aged 42, a winder, Annie May HOWARTH, aged 15. Those injured were Mrs SHAWCROSS and Mrs Elizabeth HOWARTH, and, were so badly hurt that they were taken to the Manchester Infirmary.

Another chimney-stack in the area fell and crashed through a cloth warehouse, no one was injured.

At Ashton-on-Mersey at the residence of John AINSWORTH, Osborne House, the chimney-stack went crashing through the bedroom, where, Mrs BOWLING, aged 64, sister of Mr AINSWORTH, lay in bed. The old lady was buried in the debris and crushed to death. Mrs AINSWORTH and a servant, Mary FRANCES, were in the room at the time and escaped with slight cuts to their faces. Some of the brickwork precipitated through the bedroom floor and continued its course through the kitchen floor into the basement.

At Rhyl the seas were tremendous and the high tides damaged many of the fore shore defences, including the Voryd Embankment. A huge window at Wedgewood’s China warehouse was blown in and expensive china worth £100 was damaged. The rivers Clwyd and Elwy have overflowed their banks in the Vale of Clwyd. Ferry traffic between Anglesey and Carnarvonshire was suspended. The steeple of the English Congregational Church at Mold was blown down and completely destroyed, no one was hurt. Owing to the breakdown, telegraphic messages had to be refused at Bangor and Carnarvon.

At Blackpool the tide reached 28ft 2ins at 11.30am on Thursday. The sea lashed with a fury over the promenade in volumes. The tram service was stopped and a couple of trams, which, reached the Palatine Corner had to stay there till the waters receded. The cliffs north of the Glynn Inn have crumbled away to a great extent by the force of the water, Uncle Tom’s Cabin is now on the verge of a high precipice. The Blackpool and Fleetwood tram road is now only a few yards from the edge of the cliffs, the system is greatly endangered.

At Southport the aerial flight on the shore was practically demolished, widows were blown in and chimneys destroyed.

At Barrow on Thursday, the small steamer GLOWWORM sank after colliding with a Belfast boat in the channel, the crew escaped.

The Norwegian barque FREY, waterlogged and abandoned, was towed into the Tyne on Thursday morning by two tugs.

At Chatham the Barge CHARLES, belonging to a firm of, Medway cement manufacturers, was carried to the river-bank And lies in a dangerous position.

Lloyd’s telegram by Greenock agent :-

On Thursday morning a collision occurred near the Cardcross light, between the tug MONARCH proceeding up river with a schooner in tow and the Campbelltown steamer DAVAAR. The MONARCH sank and is nearly covered at high water. The mate and two men were drowned. The schooner got clear and the DAVAAR, a passenger steamer, sustained damage to the bows.

In the Dee Estuary, the MILLOM CASTLE of Connah’s Quay, parted her moorings and was carried on Bagillt Sandbank.

The schooner ELLEN HARRISON is reported ashore under Heswall and is feared seriously damaged.

At Queenstown

Three transatlantic steamers, the BRITANNIC from New York, the NEW ENGLAND from Boston and the RHYNLAND from Philadelphia, due to call at Queenstown during Thursday night, all passed on to Liverpool without communicating, although the tenders were sent out to intercept them. However it would be impossible for any tender to lay alongside to take off the mail and passengers, as a result the Irish passengers will now be sent home, via Liverpool and Holyhead.

On the tender returning after attempting to reach the BRITANNIC, she came across a boat full of workmen, whom, had previously left Queenstown to reach the Royal Naval Dockyard, Haulbowline. The boat had been carried along the harbour by the wind and tide and the seas breaking over the frail craft had rendered her critical, but for the tender arriving at that opportune moment, a serious fatality might have occurred.

The ferry-boats have ceased to ply and the Pilot boat on the harbour station is at anchor at Spike Island.

A collier went ashore on the west-end of Haulbowline Island, but was towed off by the tug FLYING SPORTSMAN.

A vessel named EIRION LASS dragged her anchors while lying in St Tudwall Roads yesterday morning and the R.N.L.I Lifeboat OLDHAM rescued her crew of 4 and landed them safely at Pwllheli.

At the I.O.M, the fierce westerly gale raged, many houses in the south have been stripped of their slates. In the grounds of Rushen Abbey a large elm tree was uprooted. At Douglas several shop windows have been completely blown in.

The ketch JOHN PARRY from Bangor with slates, took shelter in Derby Haven Bay and the crew of 3 were brought off and took ashore for safety by the Castletown lifeboat.

Fatal accidents

At Portland Place, North Chapham Rd, London, the roof of a house was blown in and several people were buried in the ruins. Commander WELLS of the Fire brigade was in attendance. Nellie WATER, aged 9, was killed and her mother was seriously injured.

A chimney-stack at the Cross Deaf and Dumb Institution, nr Preston, fell on Peter FORSHAW, cart driver, of Preston, on Thursday night, fracturing his skull. He was taken to the Royal Infirmary and died there yesterday.

At Berwick, Sussex, yesterday, the Rigo, winner of the Stoke Steeplechase, at Windsor on Thursday, arrived at Berwick station last night, and the box it was in was carried by the wind and overturned into a siding and completely smashed. Rigo was killed on the spot. D. READ the well-known jockey also in the vehicle was extremely shaken. Rigo was a 4yr old by Longfellow-Rina B, and owned by Mr Horatio BOTTOMLEY.

Liverpool Mercury 21st Jan 1899

The renewed gale, wrecks and loss of life.

The gale, which during the latter part of last week raged in Liverpool, and on Saturday and Sunday appeared to be passing, broke out again on Monday, and was exceedingly strong, interfering with the traffic on the Mersey.

The Johnson Line steamer ROSEMORE, which arrived in Liverpool had a rough passage from Baltimore, the seas swept over her decks, washing over her deck cargo and seriously damaged her rails and cattle fittings. Out of her shipment of 300 cattle, 90 were swept overboard and lost. One of her crew was drowned.

The same company’s steamer ULSTERMORE lost 22 sheep out of a shipment of 1505.

The Warren Line steamer MICHIGAN had to cast overboard 101 head of cattle and 175 sheep which had died during the voyage.

At Blackpool on Monday, a 27ft 8ins high tide swept the front and inundated the shops and back streets, the water soon reached the asphalt and stopped the trams and vehicle traffic. The pleasure boats stored on the promenade failed to withstand the rush of water and were floating about.

A large groyne, opposite the New Inn, put down many years ago by the corporation, at great expense, to collect shingle, was uprooted and washed towards the North Pier and broke up.

In North Wales, phenomenal tides were noticed at the Menai Straits. Huge waves broke against the Carnarvon sea wall, and flooded the promenade. At Rhyl portions of the Marine Drive were washed away. The rivers Clywd and Clywedog have flooded their banks and land between Denbigh and Llanrhaiadr Station was a huge lake.

The South Western Railway Company’s ALMA arrived at Southampton on Monday, having on board two members of the crew of the schooner BOADICEA which foundered during the gale on Friday, bound from Waterford to Plymouth, 2 of her crew were drowned.

The ALICE FISHER belonging to the Deep Sea Fishing Mission, arrived at Yarmouth on Tuesday and reported 2 crew members had been lost whilst ferrying fish to the steam carrier.

The crew of the smack DEERHOUND, run down off the Kentish Knock on Sunday were landed at Broadstairs on Tuesday by the yacht FAVOURITE.

The men state their vessel was sunk by the vessel DOON from Ayr, and that the DEERHOUND disappeared in 5mins. The mate, R. FARRETT had a narrow escape, for as the vessel was struck he was knocked down in the engine room, where the boiler burst and severely scalded him. Directly afterwards the engine room was filled with a heavy sea and he was washed and managed to cling on to some floating wreckage, and, with Capt Edward LANGLEY and the ship’s cook, was picked up by the DOON.

The DEERHOUND, with only three men on board is the third smack which William DAVIES of Ramsgate, the owner, has lost within a few months.


Copyright 2002 / To date