Newsham House

Liverpool Daily Post, Thursday November 2nd, 1939




Newsham House which has been for over 70yrs the Judges Lodgings for Liverpool has undergone considerable internal reconstruction and renovation, with result that in future there will be accommodation for three judges and their retinues at the same time, instead of two judges as formerly.

The provision of the extra suite of rooms has been carried out by the Corporation because of the increasing pressure of Assize business, necessitating, as it did early this year, the appointment of a third Judge to share the heavy work.

It is anticipated a third court of assize will occur again, and in that event Newsham House will be available to accommodate three of his Majesty’s Judges.

Internal arrangements

The reconstruction work has involved the rearrangement of the internal accommodation and appointments, and incorporated in the scheme of work is an air raid shelter. Some addition to the house has been made, but the general features remain, as of old, those of one of the old mansions of the city.

Newsham House dates from the late 18th century, it was built by a Thomas MOLYNEUX of West Derby, to an ancestor of whom the erection of the ancient, Tuebrook House is imputed. The place name has its origin in Plantagenet days, when Neusum, with Walton and Wavertree, was held by the powerful family of de Walton.

The Corporation purchased Newsham and Yellow House estates in 1846-50 for £100,000, the Yellow House being an old farmstead standing on the north side of Prescot Rd, a few hundred yards westward of the site of the present abattoir.

In 1868 the Judges lodgings, which had been in St Anne St for 33yrs were removed to Newsham House, which was enlarged for the purpose.

The house has lodged not only the Crown representatives but Royalty on occasions. In 1874, the Duke of Edinburgh stayed at Newsham House, while he was visiting Liverpool for the laying of the foundation stone for the Walker Art Gallery. In 1886 the year of the International Exposition, Queen Victoria, the Duke of Connaught and Prince Henry of Battenburg, stayed for 2days.

In 1889 the Shah of Persia, who was the guest of the Lord Mayor, spent a few days at Newsham House. Similarly, the late King George V, Duke of York, in 1894 stayed during a visit when he laid the foundation stone for the Liverpool Head Post Office.

Amongst other guests, Prince Arthur of Connaught in 1910, and the late Earl Beatty who visited Liverpool in 1919 to receive the Freedom of the City.


Copyright 2002 / To date