BLUE COAT HOSPITAL
In the reign of George the first the Blue Coat Hospital was established mainly by the zeal and generosity of one man Mr Bryan BLUNDELL.
From a sketch of his life written by him.
He was a shipowner and commander of his own ship in the forein trade. He befriended the Rev Robert STITHE Rector of Liverpool and together they formed the Blue coat School and Hospital.
They solicited subscriptions from the Mayor and respectable members of Liverpool raising yearly subscriptions of between £60 and £70. A little school house was built costing £35 and a Master was appointed with a yearly income of £20. 50 children were taken in and were clothed and given learning.
Robert STITHE was made treasurer , Mr BLUNDELL while at sea from 1709 sent up to £250 in subscriptions from money earned on his voyages. In 1713 Mr STITHE died on Mr BLUNDELLS return he learned of the death and that a new Rector Mr RICHMOND unable to undertake his duties as treasurer.
Mr BLUNDELL left the sea to to take care of the school. he became concerned at the amount of children begging on the streets and wanted to take children in wholly from their parents.
He then raised £2000, £750 of which he donated and built the Blue Coat Hospital finished in 1718.
Liverpool Mercury Aug 24th 1876
Sale of valuable property in Liverpool Freemason's Hall
A large price
Yesterday a block of property in Lime St, known as Freemason's Hall, a large portion of which is occupied by Mr REYNOLDS, for his waxworks exhibition, was offered for sale by auction, at the Law Association Rooms, Cook St. The auctioneer was Mr Charles H. WEBB, member of a London firm. The sale was pursuant to an order of the High Court of Chancery, in a cause, "Moorhouse v. Moorhouse."
The property comprises four shops, over which is the gallery used for the exhibition of waxworks. Two of the shops and the entrance to the gallery from Lime St, and the remaining two shops, which are in the rear, front Rose St. The property is let to Mr REYNOLDS on a tenancy expiring midsummer this year at a rental of £600 per annum. It is held on a lease from the corporation for a term of which 45yrs were unexpired on the 14th August 1875, at a peppercorn ground rent. The lease can be extended to 75yrs upon certain terms and conditions.
There was a good attendance at the sale. The auctioneer in putting up the property exhibited a sealed envelope, which he said contained the reserve price, but he was not at liberty to open it until the close of the bidding. Bidding was then commenced, the starting price being £5000. There was a most spirited competition, and in a very short time the offer of £11,500, was made, after which the bidding, which had been increased by offers of £100 and £50, became more cautious, and it was advanced by additional offers of £10, until it reached £12, 080, at which the property was knocked down to Mr Alfred J. REYNOLDS, the present occupier and proprietor of the waxworks exhibition. The auctioneer then opened his sealed instructions, and announced that the property was sold. Mr REYNOLDS was loudly applauded when it was declared that he was the purchaser.
Liverpool Mercury, Feb 7th, 1878
The Steble Fountain
Yesterday morning a preliminary trial was made of the fountain erected through the generosity of Lieutenant Colonel STEBLE in front of the Walker Art Gallery, and which is nearly completed. His worship the mayor Mr A. B. FORWOOD, and other gentlemen were present, and the trial was pronounced of a highly satisfactory character. The fountain consists of an outer circular basin 30ft in diameter, the border of which is a massive iron coping. From the centre of this rises an octagonal shaft, the base of which is extended in a cruciform plan to form four pedestals, upon which are placed four figures representing Neptune, Amphitrite, Acis and Galates, and between these are ornamental shields bearing suitable inscriptions in commemoration of the gift. On the shafts above the shields are placed four finely executed masques of sea gods, from whose mouths stream jets of water. Over these at a height of 12ft from the base and 12 and a half feet in diameter, extends an octagonal basin, enriched by mouldings, guilloches, and foliated scroll-work, while around the rim are placed eight masques of dolphins, alternating with eight ornamental roseaux, from which flow 16 jets of water. Above the basin the shaft continues of a circular form, relieved by mouldings and enrichments, and above is supported a second basin, about 8ft in diameter, similarly embellished. Over the rim of the basin the water flows in a continuous cascade into the basin below, and in the centre of the basin, seated upon the representation of a rock, is a well-defined figure of a mermaid holding a cornucopia, from which will issue water. The total height of the fountain to the top of the mermaid is 23ft, and the jet will rise to the height of about 30ft. The collateral ornamentation of the space surrounding the fountain has not yet been finally designed, but it is probable four lions will be placed round the fountain after the style of those at St George's Hall.
INSTITUTE OF THE BLIND
Liverpool Journal 8th Jan 1881
A meeting was held on Tuesday by the trustees of the Institution of the Blind, Hardman St, for the purpose of electing a new president, to take the place of the late Mr T. FISHER, Mr T. MILLS presided.
Others present, Mr M. A. CULSHAW, Dr MACNAUGHT, T. S. RAFFLES, J. L. MINISHULL, A. G. KURTZ, T. HIPTON, Dr NEVINS, E. STANISTREET.
The chairman made a fitting tribute to the late Mr Thomas FISHER who died on the 24th Dec last, and was connected to the institution for many years, condolences were sent to his son Mr G. P..FISHER.
The appointment of President was given to Mr MILLS who has been connected to the institution for 37 yrs, 29 yrs as treasurer, Mr William RATCLIFFE was appointed Vice President
26th MAY 1859
SALE OF SUTTON HALL ESTATE
This extensive and valuable property which comprehended in the whole about 1,400 statute acres of buildings, villas, garden and agricultural land in the townships of Great and Little Sutton was brought to the hammer by Messers CHURTON last week at the Albion Hotel, Chester.
The property is situated between Liverpool and Chester and consisted of excellent building sites for sale under the direction of W. H. BROWN, Solicitor
The property was sold off satisfactorily with the exception of a portion reserved till june. The cream of the estate New Hall Estate consisting of 245 acres with views of the Welsh Hills and surrounding countryside
Cross Farm Estate, 146 acres purchased by R. C. NAYLOR, Esq, Hooton
Sutton Hall, purchased by John NICHOLSON. Esq, Whitehaven
Sutton Station Hotel, purchased by William SWIFT. Esq, Leek Staffordshire
J. H. CLEGG. Esq, Backford
E. G. SALISBURY.Esq and Henry HOSTAGE. Esq of Chester
Mr HOPE. Esq of Liverpool.
PROVIDENCE FREE HOSPITAL
Liverpool Mercury, June 6th, 1908
St Helens Hospital Jubilee
The annual report of the St Helens Providence Free Hospital draws special attention to that cue to be made to celebrate the completion of 25yrs service to the town.
The hospital started 25yrs ago in George St by the late, Miss F. M. TAYLOR, and since that time, 10,055 patients have been treated. The institution has been for many years located in the building known as Hardshaw Hall, and it is now desired to mark the silver jubilee by erecting a new operating theatre, and wards for men and women. The cost of erection and furnishing will amount to £6,000. A portion of the money has already been subscribed, but the bulk has yet to be provided.
CENTENARY OF JOHN HAMILTON THOM
LIVERPOOL WEEKLY MERCURY
JAN 11th 1908
Rev John Hamilton THOM was born Newry County Down Jan 10th 1808, his father was Rev John THOM a native of Lanarkshire that time Presbyterian Minister of Newry. His mother was the daughter of John GLENNY and there were several other children.
John Hamilton THOM was sent to school in Newry then to the Royal Institute Belfast his tutor being Dr Thomas Dix HINCKS. He owed his early religious instruction to Rev John MITCHELL.
In 1829 Mr THOM came to Liverpool and became Minister of the Ancient Chapel of Toxteth. On the death of Rev John HINCKS he became Minister of Renshaw St Chapel. The following year James MARTINEAU came to Liverpool to be Minister of Paradise St Chapel and began a memorable friendship. In 1838 Mr THOM married Hannah Mary RATHBONE daughter of William RATHBONE
LIVERPOOL WEEKLY MERCURY 1908
REV CANON HENRY POSTANCE
HOLY TRINITY CHURCH and other institutions were due to the efforts of Rev Canon Henry Postance, the church was built in 1858 in Parliament St, below St James station. He realized the importance of education and care in one of Liverpool's most deprived areas and raised money to better the area and inhabitants. A school was opened in Ashwell St in 1860 and a Vicarage in Upper Parliament St in 1864. He had built the Ragged School in Beaufort St in 1868, it ran for 33yrs till the erection of Harrington Board School a few feet away. The areas most poorest children were provided with dinner, clogs and warm clothes in winter.
After this rose Grafton St School in 1872
The church was enlarged in 1875 and a new wing added for the accommodation of industrial children.
More land was aquired and a playground built in 1883 for the use of the Ragged School.
In 1884 a foundation stone was laid for a mission room adjoining the church by Mr W. H Rowe friend and treasurer of the industrial school, which was opened Jun 3rd 1884 by Mr Clarke Aspinall coroner of Liverpool.
A foundation stone was laid for the Girls School Nile St on Mar 9th 1886 and in 1893 a large playground was laid in Mann St for the Industrial School for boys Grafton St.
Rev Postances work was carried on by his son Rev Charles Groves Postance
LIVERPOOL MERCURY 1908
21st March 1908
Londons tribute to Miss Nightingale
The name is imperishable, Guild Hall Monday London
The City Fathers gave honour to Miss Nightingale, the City Chamberlain handed over a casket carved in oak containing the freedom of the City of London to the cousin of Miss Nightingale.
Of the distinguished guests there were many relations of the illustrious lady.
Mr and Mrs L. H. Slore NIGHTINGALE
Mr and Mrs H. Bonham CARTER
Major Bonham CARTER
Mr Alfred Bonham CARTER. C.B,
Also represented old pupils of Nightingale school, representatives of St Thomases Hospital, the only notable absentee was Miss Nightingale herself whose age and health kept her away.
The Chamberlain recounted the tale of her life, Sir William Howard RUSSELL sent a letter home describing the wretched conditions of the hospital in Sutari.
He pleaded, "Are there no devoted women able and willing to go forth and minister to the sick and suffering soldiers of the east in the hospitals in Sutari, are there none of the daughters of England in this extreme hour of need ready for such a work of mercy?"
Within a week Miss Nightingale was on her way with 38 chosen nurses, arriving at Sutari on Nov 4th 1854.
Within 24hrs news came of the battle at Inkerman, wounded and dying were brought in by the shipload to the already overstrained hospital. Suffering Cholera, Dysentry and sickness they were her only companions, for 20 hrs of every 24 she was at her post.
Some of the Angel Band fell at their posts and won the Martyrs crown, Miss Nightingale her self suffered the fever hovering between life and death for days.
Deaths and inquests 27th, Jan 1877
The death of Sir Hardman EARLE
The death of Sir Hardman EARLE took place at his residence, Allerton Tower, Woolton, on Thursday morning at 10 am, he had been in delicate health for some time.
He was the second son of Thomas EARLE of Spekelands, one of the finest old squires of the county and one of the leading citizens of our town in the last century.
Sir Hardman, was born on July 11th, 1792, and was brought up in the mercantile house of Messers MORELL and BORELAND, merchants then of high standing, but who have long since disappeared from the busy circles of commerce. After serving his apprenticeship there he entered the firm of brokers and afterwards, styled, SALISBURY, TURNER and EARLE, for a long time being the acting and managing partner, retiring in 1850.
He has, however, always been a partner in the old established firm of seed crushers, EARLE and CARTER, now, EARLE and KING, lately he and his son built the new building of the firm in Burlington St.
He was one of the original promoters of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway, projected by his friend the late Joseph SANDERS and his relative the late Charles LAWRENCE, 1st Chairman. Sir Hardman joined the board in 1828, and was present at the opening when Mr HUSKISSON was killed. He was also one of the original promoters and directors of the Grand Junction Railway, when that joined the Manchester and Liverpool and further amalgamated with the London and Birmingham, as the London and North Western Railway, he was elected to sit on the board which he has held to this day. He was therefore the oldest Railway Director living.
He was also county and borough magistrate and declined the office of high sheriff in 1869, his friend and relative, the late Mr B. HEYWOOD JONES serving in his stead. Sir Hardman was created a Baronet in 1869, and was the oldest trustee of the Bluecoat Hospital.
He leaves three sons and five daughters and is succeeded in the family honours by his eldest son Thomas who married Miss FLETCHER daughter of W. FLETCHER Esq, late of the Bank of England, Liverpool, by whom he has a large, young family.
The flag at the Town Hall is hoisted at half mast.
Liverpool Mercury Feb 8th 1908
Grace DARLING’S medal
A silver medal awarded to heroic Grace DARLING is to come to the hammer at Messers PUTTICK and SIMPSON’S rooms in Leicester Square on Friday next.
It bears the following inscription:-
Presented by the directors of the Glasgow Humane Society to Miss Grace DARLING in admiration of her dauntless and heroic conduct in saving [along with her father] the lives of nine persons from the wreck of the Forfarshire steamer on September 7th 1838.
The obverse bears the badge of the city of Glasgow, a tree, a fish and a bell.
Copyright 2002 / To date