Edward JONES

Fireman Edward JONES 350A, Courtesy MF&RS

Inscription Police Memorial Toxteth Park cemetery

Courtesy MF&RS


Edward JONES 350A


Whilst returning from Childwall the engine left the road in the darkness and ran up the bank and overturned. One of the firemen Edward JONES 350A was pinned beneath it and was seriously injured, he died later in the Royal Infirmary, he was 36yrs old, and was said to be the heaviest man in the force, his weight being over 18st. An ex-policeman he lived in Kensington and leaves a widow and three children. He had distinguished himself many times at fires in the city, and his loss will be greatly felt.


Connaught Rd, Kensington born 1884, in 1908 joined the City of Liverpool Police as PC 187B, aged 24

Stopped a runaway horse and was awarded a LS&HS medal. 1911 married Elizabeth, 1912 daughter Elsie born, was a member of the Police tug of war team.

1914, Transferred to the Liverpool Fire Brigade as a fireman 350H, taking the late Fireman. Newarks number. 1916, son Harry born, 1917 son Edward born.

1921 Mar 09 Wed - He was the driver of SM No4 at Kildonan Rd. Whilst returning from a, Shin Fein fire at Mr Walter Cunninghams Gorse Hey Farm, Well Lane, Childwall. It proved difficult to climb an incline and Jones reversed to try again, but the machine ran back into a ditch and overturned. He was trapped under the ladders and died later in the Royal Infirmary of injuries received. He was 36 years old and reputedly the heaviest man in the Liverpool Fire Brigade at 18st 5lb, he left a widow and 3 children

March - A medical examination showed that he had died from a fractured skull

March 14th, - Funeral service, his coffin draped with a Union flag was carried on the HD Hose Carriage from his home. As well as a Liverpool Fire Brigade appliance machines from Bootle and Birkenhead Fire Brigades also attended together with a contingent from Manchester. He was buried in the, Firemans grave, in Smithdown Rd Cemetery

Apr 12th, His widow was awarded a pension.

Medal, LS&HS Bronze General medal


On the night of Fireman Edward JONE'S death there were 14 farm fires indicating an incendiary origin, 11 were on the Lancashire side of the Mersey and 3 on the Cheshire side. All fires point to a careful plan, systematically executed, none of the incendiaries were seen at or near the fire which suggests the use of mechanical means, a theory supported by the discovery of a time fuse.

At Crosby 5 arrests were made of men who gave addresses in the area of Waterloo [believed fictitious], on two of the men revolvers were found. The men were detained by the police as they were apparently trying to get back to Liverpool and had almost reached the station platform at the time they were taken into custody.

At Roby a farmer discovered two men acting suspiciously near a haystack belonging to him and fired on them. One was wounded and captured, but the other got away. The captured man had a revolver in his hand and another in his pocket fully loaded. The man who escaped is believed wounded.

The fires stretched over a distance of 13 miles. The first occurred at 7.59 pm, the rest within half an hour. Localities in which they occurred, In Liverpool farms in Strawberry Lane and Mill Lane, West Derby, farm in Heathfield Rd, Wavertree, Farm in Childwall, Farm in Woolton, and Wheathill Farm, Gateacre. Outside the city, Maghull, two at Little Crosby, Roby and Sefton. In Cheshire, Church Farm, Bidston, Sutton's Farm, Leasowe

Parkinson's Farm, Moreton [all in the neighbourhood of Birkenhead and Wallasey] with the exception of the farm at Childwall and that at Gateacre, which were burning at midnight, all the outbreaks had been extinguished by the firemen.

In the case of one fire believed to have been caused by two men who arrived in a motor car, they parked near the farm and walked in the direction of the ricks, not long after they hurried back to their car, soon after a boy who was an eye-witness of their movements, noticed that the ricks were burning.

The brigade and farm servants were in most cases able to keep the flames from spreading to neighbouring farm property. In Wavertree the blazing ricks were in the neighbourhood of stables containing a number of pedigree shire horses, and the animals were removed to a place of safety. In most cases damage is confined to ricks of hay or straw, and to wheat, oats, peas and beans, but in other farms implements have been destroyed. The aggregate loss will reach a high figure, in the case of William John RAINFORD of Crosby, several valuable horses were burned to death. In most cases paraffin and other inflammable spirits had been used.

At Wallasey the brigade were handicapped at one farm by lack of water, the river Birket was dry, when the firemen had exhausted the contents of the farm pone the flames were allowed to do their worst.

The fire at Maghull at Wood End Farm, was speedily discovered and extinguished before much damage could be done, here again a bottle of paraffin was found.


Copyright 2002 / To date